My Back to School Weight Loss Goal: 15 Pounds!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Slipping Through My Fingers

Yesterday was one of those days that I never want to experience again. But, funny enough, it's something that has happened to me twice in the past six months. At the doctor's office, my blood pressure shot up ridiculously. 160/110. To me, that is unbelievable. It's even more ridiculous since I monitor my blood pressure daily, and it's never been that high. I have white coat syndrome, but that can't possibly be the reason behind why my BP was that high.

Seriously, bless my doctor. He's my allergist, and honestly, one of the nicest men that I've ever met. After the nurse showed her bad bedside manner to me (literally strapped a BP cuff around my arm and told me to sit there and that she'd be back), he took over. Took the cuff off of me, told me to get down off the table and have a seat on a regular chair and just sat there and talked to me to calm me down. After that he told me to lay on the table, close my eyes, and relax as he took my BP again. The number came down enough that he was okay sending me home, but he then spent the next few minutes talking to me about being active and eating right. I told him about my weight loss journey and how frustrated I've been over the past year, and he was empathetic. While I was talking, I realized what I needed to do, and how I need to go about doing it. Do I really want this to happen every time I go to the doctor's (which, yes, I already made an appointment with my PCP to have my BP checked out... although it is MUCH lower this morning, thank goodness)? Do I want to be pregnant and have to deal with being a high risk pregnancy because of my weight and my blood pressure?

The answer is no.

No comments:

Post a Comment